lichess.org
Donate

mental preparation befor the game

Hi guys,
i wondered what you do before starting a game to focus on it and increase your concentration.
Do you practice some kind of meditation or do you allready consider certain issues which may come up during the game.
I am particular interested in the preparation before blitz games and looking for short practices i can do in front of my pc when playing lichess.
I fix myself a cup of coffee, shut the door to my room and have a good time ...
Try to let go of any emotions, be they positive or negative, as these will only detract and distract.
Things you can do while waiting for a tournament to start:

Go get a caffeinated drink, it may improve your quick reactions!
Make sure your chair is adjusted correctly.
Do some finger exercises for dexterity bonuses.
Realize that you probably won't win.
Clean your mouse for optimum key-response time.
Do a little dance.
Play solitaire, if your deck of poker isn't buried somewhere in your apartment. Mine are.
Sit in silence while you reflect upon your past and consider the games you'd be playing.

Source: http://chat.stackexchange.com/transcript/22119?m=22216660#22216660
I don't understand all the coffee hype. Coffee and other drugs only slow me down and cloud my brain, and that even includes stronger stimulants like amphetamines. All drugs cloud the mind.

The only way coffee can help me, personally, is if I'm tired. Caffeine tricks your brain into thinking you're awake when you're tired.
Before an important online game I usually just bring a glass of water. Prepare your environment to minimize any possible distractions so all your focus can be on the game. If the game is important enough have another computer with the game open to set your mind at ease about computer problems.

I spend a minute before the game to try to achieve a calm, focused mental state. I remind myself of the correct way to react to certain situations such as achieving an advantageous or disadvantageous position. Don't think about what comes after the game or what already happened during the game (this is really hard for me personally, but important). Stay present and focused on the current position until the game is over.
I don't do any preparation but often I must have toilet nearby because game makes me a physiological reflex like big shit:)
Do so do You have?

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.